What a difference a week makes. Last Monday night we spent about 30 minutes breaking down the positives from a three game sweep at the hands of the lowly Orioles. Fast forward a week and we spend practically the entire show breaking down the biggest reasons why after nine games the Red Sox are in sole possession of first place in the American League East.
Having watched most of the Red Sox baseball to this point of the season I wanted to approach this exercise by writing down what I thought the biggest reasons for the teams success has been so far. I came up with a list of six main takeaways from their early season success and then dove into them.
Keaton and I spend the majority of the show dissecting these reasons and their sustainability. Here is the cliff notes version:
- The Red Sox rotation has been quite good, I think it will continue to be, Keaton is a little worried that their starters will turn into pumpkins at midnight.
- We both love the new and improved bullpen and believe in it. We spend a good amount of time talking about the back three options of Hirokazu Sawamura, Matt Barnes, and Adam Ottavino as well as the multi-inning weapons that are Garrett Whitlock and Matt Andriese.
- The guys in the offense who are supposed to carry this team have carried this team.
- Franchy Cordero has been better than expected.
- The offense has been succeeding despite the poor early season performance from Hunter Renfroe and Bobby Dalbec.
Hopefully the Red Sox will continue to pass their early season tests with the mighty Twins this week. As usual we end the show with listener questions.
We hope you enjoyed the show and if you did, make sure you subscribe to us on iTunes, Google Podcast, Spotify, or Stitcher. Also give the show a review. Five star reviews help us get in more ears and grow the show. Be sure to also follow us on Twitter. You can find Keaton @TheSpokenKeats, and you can find me @DevJake. Thanks for listening!