The Red Sox ownership group dropped a bomb on us Friday. Their informal media gathering, as it was called, had all sorts of juicy tidbits including:
- Ownership wanting to stay under the first level of the CBT, $208M
- A restated willingness to work with Mookie Betts on an extension
- A high likelihood the next GM will come from outside of the organization
- A disagreement on the direction of the team that started after the final out of the 2018 World Series
Keaton and I look at quotes from ownership and ask the following questions:
- How the hell is this team going to remain competitive, keep Betts, and remain under $208M?
- What are the odds a Mookie Betts extension actually gets done?
- Will ownership actually get someone they want to keep as GM? How long will they stay?
- If John Henry and Dave Dombrowski disagreed on the direction of the team then why did Henry allow his to put the team into this precarious position with the Chris Sale extension and the Nate Eovaldi contract?
At the beginning of the show we also spend a little bit of time wrapping up some basic thoughts on a disappointing year. Going forward this offseason Keaton and I will be with you regularly to go through the roster with a fine comb and as news breaks. Stay with us for more Red Sox talk in the following weeks and months. Interact with us on Twitter by following us at @DevJake and @TheSpokenKeats .