The Hot Stove is reaching a boil as free agents agree to contracts and trades are made. Here are some of the highlights:
1. CC Sabathia agrees to a $161 M, 7 year deal with the Yankees. The deal allegedly includes a player opt-out clause after the 3rd year.
2. Franscico Rodriguez agrees in principle to a $37 M, 3 year deal with the New York Mets.
3. The Mets orchestrate a 3 team, 12-player deal for J.J. Putz. The Mets sent RHP Aaron Heilman, OF Endy Chavez, LHP Jason Vargas and three minor leaguers (unknown to me at this time) to the Mariners for J.J Putz, CF Jeremy Reed and RHP Sean Green.
Cleveland was the 3rd team involved, sending OF Franklin Gutierrez to Seattle for 23-year-old second baseman Luis Valbuena. Cleveland also received reliever Joe Smith from the Mets.
This was the first trade by new Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik.
4. More news from New York: the Yankees have agreed in principle to deal that sends Melky Cabrera to the Milwaukee Brewers for Mike Cameron, straight up.
[EDITORS NOTE: This deal now seems dead. The Brewers asked the Yankees to throw in a prospect, and the Yankees asked the Brew-Crew to eat some of Cameron's salary. Isn't that funny?]
5. The Yankees have also sweetened their offer to A.J. Burnett to include a 5th(!) year. The purported offer is for $80 M over 5 years.
6. The Diamond Backs agreed to a 1-year, $3.5 M deal with Felipe Lopez to man 2B in 2009. Orlando Hudson is obviously not expected back. Augie Ojeda was re-signed to remain the utility IF.
7. Ramon Vaquez is on the verge of signing a 2-year, $4 M deal with the Pirates. Whoop-dee-doo.
8. The Washington Nationals have offered Mark Teixeira an 8-year, $160 M deal. I expect the Red Sox will match the years and come in around $180 M.
9. The Cubs & Padres are currently at an impasse with a possible Peavy trade.