The Red Sox announced that they placed third baseman Will Middlebrooks on the disabled list prior to Saturday night's game against the Tigers. To take Middlebrooks' spot on the roster, the team called up infielder Brock Holt from Triple-A Pawtucket. Middlebrooks took a line drive off his hand in the first inning of Friday night's game against the Tigers off teh bat of Ian Kinsler.
"It kept swelling and kept swelling throughout the game, and by the eighth I couldn't get batting gloves on," Middlebrooks said.
Testing on the finger revealed that the third baseman had a non-displaced fracture in his finger. Middlebrooks will have a splint for the next five to seven days.
"Depending on how he responds to treatment after that, that's when we'll first look to initiate any baseball activities," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. "It's hard to say at this point how long he'll be down."
Middlebrooks was previously on the disabled list earlier in the season with a strained calf, missing three weeks and eventually returning April 24.
"It's been a long couple of years," Middlebrooks said. "I've got to hand in there. Things will turn around -- hopefully. Just keep grinding it out."
The decision to call up Holt rather than prospect Garin Cecchini mostly had to do with the fact that the third baseman's defense is not quite there yet.
In order for Middlebrooks to start producing, he needs to stay healthy first.
"Injuries are out of the control of anyone," Farrell said. "It's an unfortunate situation. We can't run him out there with a fractured finger. It was affecting the grip on the bat even the following ABs after he took the liner.