The Red Sox have signed a few of their draft picks already, but not their first pick in the 2013 MLB draft, Trey Ball. The #7 overall selection was expected to be an easy sign, and a potentially under slot one, though, and very well might be signing as soon as Tuesday: the lanky lefty reportedly underwent a physical on Monday, according to Metro Boston's Ryan Hannable.
There is no word of him signing anything yet, but so long as he passed his physical, that's likely something we'll see very soon. Once Ball is signed, it will be much easier for the Red Sox to ink most of the rest of their picks -- the ones they'll be able to sign, anyway -- as he will take the most significant chunk of the budget. Knowing he's officially under contract, and knowing exactly how much money is leftover after accomplishing that, should make it easier to divide the remaining funds across the remaining signable selections.
Read more Red Sox:
- Andrew Bailey’s closer role shouldn’t be in danger
- Jose Iglesias has majors’ longest hit streak
- Finding time for Jose Iglesias' Glove
- MLB All-Star Game 2013: Will Daniel Nava make the All-Star team?
- Dustin Pedroia’s defense saves Red Sox, sends game to extras