The Red Sox are up 1-0 on the Tigers in the seventh thanks to one big hit from Mike Napoli.
Talk about a reversal of fortunes for the beleaguered Boston first baseman. Stretching back to October 7--Game 3 of the ALDS--Mike Napoli was stuck in an 0-for-11 rut. It had earned him a benching in Game 2, and with the strikeouts piling up, it looked like another might not be too far in his future.
All it takes, though, is one pitch and one swing to change everything:
That gives the Red Sox a 1-0 lead. One that John Lackey fought hard to keep after allowing a leadoff double in the fifth. One that's required an amazing performance to hold through six innings so far. They'll have to get three more innings out of John Lackey and the bullpen if it's going to hold up, though. And that means at bats from every dangerous Tigers hitter.
Read more Red Sox:
- ALCS 2013: David Ortiz grand slam GIFs
- Baseball America names Xander Bogaerts the #1 International League prospect
- Red Sox face the Tigers in the playoffs for first time ever
- Remembering two great Craig Breslow deals
- October's brutal, relentless pursuit