Tonight is the end of the penultimate Sox-Yankees facedown of the season. So this game will decide:
- Who wins the season series! No wait, the Sox already have that.
- Who will take over first place in the AL East! Erm, no. The Sox will still lead the division, no matter who wins tonight.
- Who will make the playoffs! Nice try, lone1c. Ha ha ha.
- Whether or not AJ Burnett will keep his job in the Yankees' rotation? Hmm. A distinct possibility.
- Whether the Sox can deny the Yankees their first series win since May of last season? Also true.
OK, so there is a bit to play for. Pride and apple pie and grandma and other good stuff like that.
So, for the team from the Bronx, their representative 60' 6" away from home plate will be the aforementioned Mr. Burnett.
|2011 - A.J. Burnett||9-11||28||27||0||0||0||0||161.0||160||101||95||25||72||137||5.31||1.44|
Burnett has certainly struggled this year. For example, consider the following:
Q: What's the difference between a piñata and AJ Burnett?
A: One falls completely apart once hit a few times. The other is a party game stuffed with candy.
It's almost gotten to the point where one could entertain the suggestion that he's been worse than John Lackey, all things considered.
Unfortunately for Burnett, he opponent on the mound is a guy whose initials are also "J.L." Unfortunately, it's not John Lackey, but this guy:
|2011 - Jon Lester||14-6||25||25||0||0||0||0||160.0||131||58||55||17||59||150||3.09||1.19|
Take a look at that line, AJ. That's Lester having a rough go of things. Feel better yet? No? Well, then maybe this lineup will cheer you up:
|Boston red sox||New york yankees|
|Jacoby Ellsbury - CF||Derek Jeter - SS|
|Marco Scutaro - SS||Curtis Granderson - CF|
|Adrian Gonzalez - 1B||Mark Teixeira - 1B|
|Dustin Pedroia - 2B||Robinson Cano - 2B|
|David Ortiz - DH||Nick Swisher - RF|
|Carl Crawford - LF||Andruw Jones - LF|
|Jed Lowrie - 3B||Jesus Montero - DH|
|Josh Reddick - RF||Russell Martin - C|
|Jarrod Saltalamacchia - C||Eduardo Nunez - 3B|
Lefties. Lots of lefties. Oh, and Girardi? If you bring out a lefty, all of a sudden we have a LRLRLLRLR lineup. So there.