According to Alex Speier of WEEI.com, the Red Sox are close to signing several players from their 2011 draft class. Here are the list of draftees that Speier believes are close to signing:
- Sixth Round Selection Miguel Pena, LHP from San Jacinto Junior College
- Ninth Round Selection Travis Shaw, 3B from Kent State
- Eleventh Round Selection Kevin Brahney, LHP from Chico State
- Thirteenth Round Selection Matty Ott, RHP from Louisiana State University
- Fourteenth Round Selection Mike McCarthy, RHP from Cal State-Bakersfield
- Fifteenth Round Selection Braden Kapteyn, 1B/RHP from the University of Kentucky
- Twenty-Fourth Round Selection Drew Tucrocy, CF from Akron
While these are a lot of names, they still have a lot of players that remain unsigned. Speier reported yesterday
that there is a consensus that eighth round selection Senquez Golson will not sign, but will instead head to Ole Miss on a two-sport scholarship (he also plays football).
With many names still not signed including first rounders Matt Barnes, Blake Swihart, Henry Owens
(supplemental round), and Jackie Bradley Jr. (supplemental round). With Swihart having an offer from the University of Texas on the table, the Sox will have to use their big pockets if they want to pry him away from joining them.