You can call this my first attempt at a "Daily Links" or an "In Case You Missed This" article if you'd like, or you can just call me an imitator of those who have done something similar in the past.
Of course, I can't help but give a quick synopsis and/or opinion of the link in question, so you'll get that too.
So without further ado, let's roll the tape, shall we?
- This rumor has been picking up steam as of late, and it may very well happen depending upon the health of Scutaro and Lowrie over the course of this Winter. Scutaro's salary is relatively manageable in a trade as well. If this happens, it'll be during Spring Training if not earlier.
- We all know Big Papi wanted more than a single year, but it didn't happen. There's some more displeasure coming from him; however, he gets the business aspects, though I think he expected some sort of loyalty after all these years. I understand his point from a personal standpoint however. Oh, and expect a David Ortiz ready to roll come 2011. He just doesn't understand the detractors.
- Certainly, much of this is "old hat" at this point, but Gordo brings up a few points I haven't heard elsewhere: the Justin Upton talks/rumors may certainly affect the Adrian Gonzalez talks/rumors in that Padres GM Jed Hoyer may make a move to keep prospects from going to the Diamondbacks. Also, the Red Sox did not extend their OF search to either Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier; a bit surprising seeing the mess the Dodgers are in from a financial standpoint.
- From the "feel good" pile comes the good news that Westy's been taking live batting practice the past several weeks down in Fort Myers, FL. Beyond baseball, it's awesome to see him doing so well. From a baseball standpoint, I'm super excited. I had the chance to see him play while I was living in Lowell for a year and he's going to be great, I just know it.
- It's déjà vu all over again for both parties; however, the money and the type and number of draft picks involved are much lower. That being said, it's not a major financial hit for the Red Sox to offier 'Tek arbitration and for him to accept. I really don't expect Jason to go anywhere else, and honestly, this role as a backup/mentor may be one heck of a great way for him to transition from being a player to a coach if and/or when he does.
- I've heard rumblings from many places asking similar questions: what if Derek Jeter simply tells the Yankees to go stuff themselves and insulted, goes elsewhere? I severely doubt that will happen, but the Yankees are certainly playing hardball with Jeter and contract negotiations. Now this idea gets floated about. Great googly-moogly, I think I would fall over laughing and excited if this actually happened. I see him more as 3B or even 1B than SS, but just imagine...I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing Minka Kelly on Newbury Street either...
Got links? Send them my way and I'll do my best to get them up on the front page ASAP!