Just random stuff here at 3 o'clock on Thursday:
- No word yet on new uniforms or logos, which is supposed to be announced today.
- No one has any idea what the status is with Jason Varitek. The Herald reported it was a two-year deal on the table from the Red Sox, but then the Globe said there was no deal in place.
- The Red Sox are a "finalist" for Mark Teixeira -- apparently. It looks like it's down to the Red Sox, Angels, Orioles and Nationals, but the Yankees may or may not sneak back into the race.
- Jake Peavy to the Cubs is a "dead" deal. C'mon, Jake, reconsider Boston, please. Wouldn't you want to live this rivalry, especially if the Yankes continue to sign some pitchers and the Sox get Teixeira? What would a package for Peavy cost us?
- The Rule 5 draft was today. The Sox made three selections. Nothing huge to report here, but there's some promise definitely.
- The Wes Littleton trade was completed by sending prospect Beau Vaughan over to Texas. I really liked Vaughan, but who knows where he would be in our system. In Texas, though? He's going to be their closer (OK, maybe not yet).
- And finally, if you're bored -- like I am -- and want some hot stove updates, just check out MLBTradeRumors.com. Just keep hitting refresh and you'll get new content courtesy of Tim Dierkes and his crew.